Back to Top
- 2 bottles dry red wine, like a Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 ½ cups cold-pressed orange juice
- 3 oranges, sliced ½-inch thick
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 star anise pods
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 vanilla bean, halved to expose the seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup spiced rum
- Poke the cloves into the slices of 2 whole oranges and gently set them in the bottom of a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Reserve the third orange for finishing garnish.
- To the stockpot, add the orange juice, fresh peeled ginger, bay leaf, whole cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, anise, and the halved vanilla bean. Bring this liquid to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1 cup of the Cabernet Sauvignon and continue to simmer until the liquid thickens and becomes syrupy, an additional 30 minutes.
- Add the rest of the wine to the stockpot and stir in the spiced rum. Bring to a simmer, 3-5 minutes.
- Use a ladle to pour the spiced wine through a strainer and into mugs or warm-temperature glasses, leaving the clove-spiked oranges behind. Garnish with a fresh cinnamon stick and fresh orange slices. Additional garnishes are entirely optional.