- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 medium (52 grams) stalk celery finely diced (1/2 c.)
- 10 ounces fresh (280 grams) mushrooms finely diced (or 1 ounce dried)
- 2 medium (200 grams) carrots finely grated
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced or crushed
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or use 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar or sweetener of choice
- Pinch of red pepper flakes or to taste
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 c (80 ml) red wine or use more vegetable broth
- 3 c (750 grams) crushed tomatoes or marinara sauce or tomato sauce
- 2 c (480 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 c (200 grams) dry lentils I used brown, soaked
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce gluten-free if needed or tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c (120 ml) plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces (225 grams) spaghetti gluten-free if needed or pasta of choice
- Vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast to garnish (optional)
Step 1: If using green or brown lentils, I suggest soaking them in lukewarm water. Skip this if using red lentils. This is optional but it helps cook the lentils faster.
Step 2: In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, celery, mushrooms, and carrots to the skillet.
Step 3: Pour in the red wine or vegetable broth followed by the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, the bay leaf, and the drained lentils. Stir well.
Step 4: Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. The cooking time depends on the variety of lintels you are using.
Step 5: In the meantime, cook the pasta following the package directions.
Step 6: In a small bowl, place the soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Stir in the plant-based milk and cornstarch. Add this to the pan.
Step 7: Adjust the seasoning according to taste. If needed, add extra vegetable broth.
Step 8: When done, serve in bowls over pasta and sprinkle with Vegan Parmesan. For any leftover, cover and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
For this recipe, you can use your favourite pasta. In place of lentils, use textured soy protein instead. Soak in warm water the 1 to 1 1/2 cups of soy curls for several minutes. Feel free to add more veggies like eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, etc.