- 10-12 6 inch tortillas soft
Beef Taco Mixture
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 pocket taco seasoning
Pico de gallo layer
- 1 ripe tomato diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 green pepper or jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 cups Colby jack, Monterey Jack or mild chedder or mexican blend cheese shredded, i used cheddar and jack
- 4 tbsp butter
- Cajun season
- chopped scallions
- sour cream
In a large skillet brown meat and drain grease, add taco seasoning and mix until combined.
Melt butter add heavy cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a soft boil and slowly add shredded cheese until melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly until thickens. Add a pinch of Cajun season to spice.
Make pico de gallo with red onion, green pepper/jalapeno, tomato and cilantro and season to taste.
In a greased baking dish or aluminium pan add a layer of soft tortilla shells, you may need to cut one or two in half to fit properly. Top with ground beef mixture. Layer with pico de gallo, cheese sauce and continue for 1-2 layers.
On the top finish with the last of the tortilla, meat mixture, pico de gallo and cheese sauce. Bake in oven for 20 mins on 400 once finish let cool down and top with sour cream and diced scallions.
- – Make sure your tortillas are at room temperature before you roll them so they are nice and flexible.
- – I prefer to use flour tortillas but you could also use corn tortillas or large flour tortillas and use a pair of kitchen scissors to make them fit!
- – If time is an issue, you can skip the slicing job and use a store bought salsa, which makes these even easier!