Skip to content
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies*
- 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour onions into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
- Return skillet to medium-high eat, add beef and cook stirring occasionally until beef has browned.
- Drain most of fat from beef, leaving about 2 Tbsp in with beef (this is optional, I think it ads flavor but you can drain it all if you’d prefer). Pour browned beef into slow cooker.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, coriander and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 – 6 hours.
- container.htmlStir in dark and light red kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 2 minutes. Serve warm with desired toppings.