I don’t know why this is called Mississippi Roast but if I could, I would totally change the name of this roast to be “the best roast you’ve ever had in your entire life.” Whatever the name, you just need to make this ASAP! Six simple ingredients, zero effort, 100% dinner & leftover satisfaction!
This Mississippi roast is one of our favorite meals to put together during the week when we have run out of ideas and/or just want a bunch of leftovers so we don’t have to worry about the dreaded, “what’s for dinner?” every night.
You literally just throw in a roast in the slow cooker and pour some ingredients on top and literally set it and forget it.
Some days, I’m at work and forget that I actually have a meal waiting for us at home until I walk through the mudroom and the smell hits me.
- 3- pound chuck roast
- 1- ounce packet of dry ranch seasoning mix
- 1- ounce packet of dry au jus gravy mix
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 5-6 pepperoncini
- Add 1/4 cup of water into the insert of your slow cooker then place the chuck roast on top.
- Sprinkle the dry ranch seasoning mix on top of the chuck roast, then sprinkle the dry au jus mix on top, then place 6 tbsp. of butter on top of the roast, and finally 5-6 pepperoncini around the roast.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred and serve with gravy.
You can serve this with a side of mashed potatoes and vegetables, or serve it on top of white/brown rice, or make a sandwich out of it. The gravy can get pretty salty by itself so I’d go light on the salt for the side dishes that you’re serving with this roast.
Yes, if you want to add vegetables to the slow cooker to cook along with the roast, you can certainly do so. I would add it in 2-3 hours before the roast is done. Potatoes, carrots, celery, whatever you like!