- 1 lb ground beef (I prefer sirloin)
- 1 lb Italian sausage with casings removed
- ½ C freshly grated parmsean cheese
- ¼ C dry bread crumbs
- ½ C finely chopped yellow onions
- ¼ C freshly chopped basil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 32 oz of your favorite tomato sauce (fresh or jarred)
- Preheat oven to 475º F.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix with your hands until the ingredients are just evenly combined, take care not to over mix.
- Roll the meat into individual meatballs. I typically use about ⅛ C of the meatball mix for each meatball, but feel free to adjust your meatball size to your preference.
- Bake in a 475ºF oven for about 10 minutes on each side, which will brown the meat. You will need less time if your meatballs are smaller than ⅛ C or more time if your meatballs are larger. I prefer to use a cast iron pan for this step, but if you don’t have one, a baking sheet also works well.
- Transfer the meatballs to the stovetop. If you used a cast iron pan you can continue to cook in the same pan. Transfer your meatballs to a pot if you used a cookie sheet. Gently simmer in your favorite fresh or store bought tomato sauce for at least 20 minutes, but for as long as 2 hours for a more tender meatball.