Back to Top
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup melted creamy peanut butter
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350º F and grease a 18×13 sheet cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, add cocoa, stir together then add boiling water. Allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture and stir lightly to cool.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, beaten eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Add to butter/chocolate mixture.
- Pour into sheet cake pan and bake for 20 minutes. Cool before frosting.
- While cake is baking, place chopped chocolate into a medium bowl and heat cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. When cream has come to a boil, remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth and allow to cool slightly before pouring over cake.
- Heat peanut butter in microwave for 30-40 seconds, until it can be poured but not until completely liquified.
- Pour ganache and peanut butter across cooled cake making alternating stripes, (think: American flag!). Swirl with a butter knife or similar utensil to create marbling effect.
- FUN TIP: To create an easy pattern, drag a toothpick perpendicularly through the stripes of ganache and peanut butter!