Skip to content
- 3 cups oil for frying
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- Heat oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Beat together egg, milk, and melted shortening; stir into flour mixture. Mix in the corn kernels.
- Drop fritter batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil, and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.