- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Vegetable spray
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve sift flour and baking powder onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Sift again into a bowl; whisk to well combine.
- In bowl of electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat eggs and sugar until quite pale at medium-high speed, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil and butter; continue beating on medium-high, 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat just to combine.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, gradually add flour and beat to just combine. Do not over-mix!
- Fold in chocolate chips with a large spatula.
- Lightly coat waffle iron with vegetable spray.
- Pour batter (enough to just cover waffle grid) onto hot waffle iron. Close and bake following manufacturer’s instructions until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup.
Waffles can be stored in an airtight container or re-sealable zipper storage bags at room temperature for 1 day and then should be transferred to the refrigerator for storage up to 1 week or in freezer for up to 2 months.