- 4 thin chicken breast cutlets
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup sliced pepperoni marinara cheese (or just pepperoni slices if you can’t find the cheese)
- 8 basil leaves
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 4 sheets heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Cooking spray
- Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese; dip cutlets in egg, then in bread crumb mixture. Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Working in batches, cook the chicken cutlets until browned and crispy.
- Spray each sheet of aluminum foil lightly with cooking spray. Add the bottom of a roll to each sheet. Top each with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, a chicken cutlet, 1/4 cup of marinara, the pepperoni marinara cheese or pepperoni, and two basil leaves. Add the roll top. Wrap loosely, being sure all of the edges are sealed.
- Cook sandwiches on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before unwrapping.