- 1 9 inch pie crust you can use my recipe for Homemade All Butter Pie Crust or you can use refrigerated pie crust
- 6-7 cups tart apples peeled, cored and sliced nto 1/2″ thick slices.
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 25-26 caramels
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- egg wash
- sugar for crust topping
- Prepare the pie dough/crust according the Homemade All Butter Pie Crust recipe up to baking part, or use premade pie crust. (See post if you need guidance with rolling out dough or transferring it to your pie plate, or need any pie crust troubleshooting.)
- Caramel Sauce : In small pan, melt caramels and heavy cream/water over very low heat. Stir until smooth. You’ll use 1/2 cup of caramel in the apple filling – reserve the rest for topping pie slices when serving.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, stir together all filling ingredients EXCEPT for the caramel. Let filling sit for 10 minutes to get the apple juices going, then stir in the caramel. Set aside.
- Topping: Stir together the brown sugar, flour, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or forks cut the butter into the flour mixture, until you have crumbs of all different sizes. Set aside.
- Spoon the filling into the crust. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple filling. Make a egg wash, and brush over exposed parts of the crust. Sprinkle crust and topping with a little coarse sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, checking the pie at 20 minutes to make sure the crust isn’t browning too quickly. If it is, place a piece of foil over the top of the pie and continue baking.
- Pie is done when filling is bubbly, topping and crust are golden brown, and apples are tender. Allow pie to cool for 2-3 hours before slicing and serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream and more caramel sauce!