Back to Top
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning herbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 cans (8-ounce each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white long-grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- Place a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is simmering, add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook unmoved for 1-2 minutes to get a nice sear on it. After that, break it down with a wooden spoon and cook until beef is browned, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rosemary, thyme, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar to the pot.
- Add beef broth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.