- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, salt, vinegar, thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Mix cornstarch and almond milk until smooth; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 3-4 minutes.
Test Kitchen tipsYou are in full control of how intensely flavored this soup can be. If you like it mellow or are going to be using it in another recipe, keep the mushrooms and veggies from getting too browned. If you love a deep, rich flavor, let the mushrooms and onions cook until they turn a dark golden brown.While button mushrooms will give you a lovely flavor, try switching it up by using shiitake, portobello or a blend of all three.
1 cup: 139 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 623mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.