Back to Top
- 2 cucumbers (wash with a light coating of dish soap and rinse, then skin can be left on)
- 1 shallot, minced OR 1/4 cup minced purple onion
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced, OR 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1+1/2 to 2 tsp. sugar or more, to taste
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then repeat with each half until you have a number of long strips. Now slice the other way to create bite-size rectangular chunks. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add the shallot, green onion, chili/red pepper, and coriander to the salad bowl (keep back a little extra coriander for a garnish).
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve sugar. Taste-test it for sweet-sour balance, adding more sugar if it’s too sour for your taste. Tip: Note that the dressing will taste quite salty and pungent now, but will be perfect once combined with the salad.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss well.
- To serve, top with chopped peanuts, plus extra cilantro.