Instant Pot Beef Burgundy Stew is a savory comfort meal full of fall-apart tender beef chunks and veggies. If Ina Garten and Julia Child created a beef bourguignon together – this would be it!
When you have a few pounds of beef tips, what do you typically lean towards? Beef tips with gravy? So do I! They’re tender, flavorful, and ridiculously easy. However, today I felt it necessary to exercise some creativity with that bag of beef tips.
While along the same wavelength of beef tips and gravy, this recipe takes it to the next level. Inspired by Beef Bourguignon, I wanted to offer up this classic made famous by Julia Child, but have it much easier to make. No braising and hours of waiting required today! Using your Instant Pot, you’ll be rewarded with tender meat and an ultra flavorful red wine gravy.
- 2 lb trimmed boneless beef chuck roast, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 package (8 oz) button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup Progresso™ beef avored broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 3/4 cup Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon canned Muir Glen™ organic tomato paste
- 2 cups 3/4-inch pieces peeled carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Burgundy Stew
- In large bowl, toss beef with salt and pepper.
- Spray 6-quart Instant Pot™ insert with cooking spray. Select SAUTE; adjust to normal. Add oil to insert. Add beef in 2 batches; cook 2 to 4 minutes on first side until browned. Turn, and cook 2 to 4 minutes longer on second side or until browned; transfer to medium bowl. Add onions, mushrooms and bacon to insert; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions start to soften. Bacon may not be fully cooked. Select CANCEL.
- Add broth, wine, tomato paste and beef to insert. Add carrots and celery on top of beef. Secure lid; set pressure valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL; cook on high pressure 45 minutes. Select CANCEL. Set pressure valve to VENTING to quick-release pressure.
- In small bowl, beat water and cornstarch with whisk. Select SAUTE; adjust to normal. Heat liquid to simmering. Gently stir in cornstarch mixture; cook 30 to 60 seconds, stirring frequently, until thickened. Select CANCEL.