Back to Top
For the cake:
- ⅓ C. Butter unsalted and softened
- ⅔ C. Granulated sugar
- ½ C. Applesauce
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 ⅓ C. All purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 C. Sour cream
For the Filling:
- 2 Large Granny smith apples peeled an thinly sliced
- ½ C. Granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 4 tsp. Water
- 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- ½ C. Brown sugar
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 2 C. Powdered sugar
- ½ C. Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the ⅓ cup butter and ⅔ cup sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, applesauce and 2 tsp vanilla to the mixing bowl, and beat until combined.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon until well incorporated.
- Pour the sour cream into the bowl and beat on high until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stove, and add the apples, ½ cup sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, water and cornstarch to it. Continue to cook until the apples are softened and the sauce has thickened.
- Mix together the ½ cup brown sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Place half of the cake batter in an even layer in the bottom of a well greased baking dish.
- Cover the batter with the apple filling, and sprinkle ¾ of the brown sugar mixture on top of them.
- Layer the last half of cake batter on top of the apple filling, and top with the remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the cake is baking, add the ingredients for the glaze to a mixing bowl, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Immediately pour the glaze evenly over the cake when it is removed from the oven. Let sit to allow the glaze to harden a bit before serving.