- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced into matchsticks
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add barley and cook, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to package directions. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the barley under cool water and transfer to a large bowl. Add snap peas, parsley, onion, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Serving size: about ⅔ cup
- Per serving: 151 calories; 5 g fat(1 g sat); 4 g fiber; 23 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 10 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 755 IU vitamin A; 16 mg vitamin C; 38 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 301 mg sodium; 108 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1½
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat