- 3 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 16 sandwich buns, split
- 1 In large skillet, cook ground beef, onions, celery and bell pepper over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- 2 In 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker, combine ground beef mixture and all remaining ingredients except buns; mix well.
- 3 Cover; cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours.
- 4 Stir; spoon beef mixture into buns.
Sloppy Joes are perfect for busy-day meals and casual dinner parties because the filling is easily prepared ahead. Flavors improve while the filling rests in the refrigerator for up to a day.
Try Sloppy Joe Shortcakes: Bake one 16.3-ounce can Pillsbury® Grands!® Refrigerated buttermilk Layer Biscuits as directed on the label. Split the hot biscuits in half. Spoon the meat mixture onto biscuit bottoms; cover with biscuit tops; sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese.
Serve the Sloppy Joe filling over cooked ravioli. Pass the pepper mill and a bowl of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.