Back to Top
- 1 (1lb) box rigatoni pasta
- 1 (25oz) jar marinara
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (or beef), cooked and drained of fat
- 2 cups mozzarella, grated
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Cook rigatoni noodles in a large pot of salted, boiling water until just al dente (slightly firmer noodles will be easier to work with).
- Drain noodles and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, then add parmesan and toss until evenly coated.
- In a separate bowl, stir together ricotta, egg, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add marinara sauce and water, and heat to a simmer. Stir in Italian sausage, reduce heat to low and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In the springform pan, stand rigatoni noodles up on one end, making sure to fill any gaps with noodles, but don’t overcrowd.
- Pour the ricotta mixture over the noodles and spread it evenly, then add the meaty marinara sauce on top. Gently squish the cheese and meat down into the hollow spaces.
- Place springform pan in oven and bake for 15 minutes, then top with mozzarella and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the edge of the springform pan; use a knife to loosen the edges if necessary.
- Serve warm and enjoy!