FOR THE CAKE:
- 1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- pinch of salt
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the sugar, butter, and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the egg and egg white, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 portions, alternating with 2 portions of buttermilk. Mix just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the pan on wire rack.
TO MAKE THE TOPPING:
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the pecans, egg, and salt.
- Use a wooden skewer* to poke multiple holes in the top of the cake.
- Pour the topping over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
*Use a skewer with a larger diameter than a toothpick. The topping mixture is a bit thick and will need slightly larger holes to soak into the cake.