- 4 cups fresh or frozen (and thawed) corn kernels
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup panko or seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives, plus extra for garnish, finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a pie dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, then transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add corn, milk, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, chives, salt and pepper to the bowl with the onion and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with chili powder and paprika, then stir mixture into bowl with corn and onion until incorporated. Pour mixture into greased pie dish.
- Microwave remaining 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Let cool slightly, then whisk together with remaining panko crumbs, cheese, and chives, and season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly sprinkle panko mixture over corn, then place pie dish in oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until corn is puffed up and edges are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes, then top with more chives or paprika. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Natural Comfort Kitchen.