- Butter to grease the baking dish
- 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2-1/4 pounds), peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch (or 2-quart) baking dish with butter.
- In a mixing bowl with a pouring spout (or large liquid measuring cup), whisk together the cream, salt and pepper.
- Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese over the potatoes and pour 1/4 of the cream mixture over top. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cheese and cream, forming 4 layers. Pour any leftover cream over top.
- Place in the oven and bake, uncovered, for about an hour, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and golden brown on top. Let the dish settle and cool for about ten minutes before serving.