- 26 large soft medjool dates, pitted
- 26 (or scant 1 cup) walnut halves
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into chunks (for vegan, replace the butter with ¾ oil)
- 3-4 tbsp good quality honey
- 1½ tsp coconut extract
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pistachios
- Open the medjool dates partway and stuff each date with a walnut half. Close the dates tightly to enclose the walnut halves.
- Assemble the walnut-stuffed dates snugly in a single layer in the bottom of a lightly greased small container like this one.
- In a small non-stick pan, melt the butter and honey on medium-low heat. Add the coconut extract, then stir in the flour. Keep stirring until the flour turns golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the honey and flour mixture evenly on top of the dates filling in any gaps. Let the mixture set, then top with the chopped pistachios pressing lightly with your hand.
- Now carefully cut the date cake through into 9 small bars.
- For best results, cover the bars and refrigerate for one hour or until ready to serve. Remove from the fridge about 10 minutes before serving.