- 1/4 cup of butter
- 3 cups of onions, diced**
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cubes of chicken (or vegetable) stock or equivalent
- 1 3/4 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 Suisse cheese (or any cheese really if you need to get rid of your fridge content)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of bread, cut in cubes (about 1/2 inch)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (Garlic butter for extra yum factor), melted
-Preheat oven at 350°F (180°C)
-Add butter on all sides of the bread cubes. Don’t soak them in the butter, use a cooking brush.
-Cook for 7 minutes on each side.
-In a large pot, melt the butter at medium heat and cook onions until tender (around 7 minutes). Add water and stock and boil the whole mixture by bringing the temperature up. Cover
and lower heat to maintain a low simmer. Leave it for about 15 minutes.
-In a bowl, add flour to milk while whisking the whole time. Add it to the onion mix and bring it back to a simmer until the constancy thickens. Add half of the cheese to the soup, mix until you have a good blend.
-Set the oven to broil.
-Put soup in serving bowls fit to go in the oven (4 should be enough). Add croutons and top with the rest of the cheese.
-Put in the over for a few minutes, until cheese has melted
Now put on a movie (preferably a scary one), pour yourself aGLASS of wine and ENJOY!